While the site is going through updates you may notice slow downs in page loads and other glitches through out the pages. If something seems to not be working correctly wait a few minutes and try again. If the error persists message taurarious using the forum or email him at Taurarious@threepercenters.org so that he knows an issue exists.

so m1a or ar10

ill start this by saying fal. go!

Comments

• For what purpose? Banging around, accuracy, somewhere between the two?
  • Ive owned a Fal and AR10...I prefer the Ar10 ,the fal weighs alot more, recoils harder, and dosnt have the aftermarket or parts availability that the AR10 does, if you ever frequent the AWRM forums theres a guy named Tire Iron that did a good write up on his blog....I had an armalite Ar10 and a DSA STG Fal , they are not the premium brands or models but decent enough rifles. the only thing i liked better about the fal was the adjustable gas system.

• There are some pretty awesome torture test videos with an FAL on youtube that pretty much seal the deal for me, if I ever get the ability to pick one up thats what I'm getting.

• edited August 2017

Before I got sick I had built my Austrian STG-58 from a limited run of cherry parts kits that came in around 1999,it had a brand new FN hammer forged barrel, Stoll flash hider, bi-pod, I had a metric IMBEL gear logo receiver, a British L1A1 two-piece firing pin bolt and sand-cut bolt carrier, the barrel was head spaced just below Match and above Field , I polished up the shortened gas system, installed a L1A1 selector switch and magazine release and I hand fitted every part of it.
    I had to sell it because at that point we thought that I was going to die and besides, it broke my heart when I could no longer even pick it up due to how weak I had gotten.

I'd go with a FAL any day as I know how to run them and run them very well. And I can carry one again now, so..... B)

And Tire Iron is fun to chat with, met him over at the old FAL FILES back around 1998 I think.

• @Pastor_Mike said:
    Before I got sick I had built my Austrian STG-58 from a limited run of cherry parts kits that came in around 1999,it had a brand new FN hammer forged barrel, Stoll flash hider, bi-pod, I had a metric IMBEL gear logo receiver, a British L1A1 two-piece firing pin bolt and sand-cut bolt carrier, the barrel was head spaced just below Match and above Field , I polished up the shortened gas system, installed a L1A1 selector switch and magazine release and I hand fitted every part of it.
    I had to sell it because at that point we thought that I was going to die and besides, it broke my heart when I could no longer even pick it up due to how weak I had gotten.

I'd go with a FAL any day as I know how to run them and run them very well. And I can carry one again now, so..... B)

And Tire Iron is fun to chat with, met him over at the old FAL FILES back around 1998 I think.

you mean theres actually a rifle you like more than your AK? I had a similer Fal to the one you described but mine had a folding stock...I sold mine because,a guy offered me 2k for it and to be honest i dont like .308 too much

• HEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEE.......

Let me put it this way.
    If I was a weapons polygamist my FAL was basically my wife, pure as the driven snow and I treated very well because she never let me down , whereas my AK is the dirty little fiance who will do ANYTHING for me when I want her to so as to be with me .
    Think of it as the whole Mary Anne vs. Ginger debate .

• Well id take a russian chick over a belgin but i get what you mean ..lol ...I can relate kind of ...i really like my dirty little Colt 6920....but i have to use lots of lube for her to love me.

• Hahaha, its GREAT to have you back JWF! Also you are a few days behind my other post but you will be happy to know BCT will be back shortly and misses you!

• this conversation is one step away from going snowflake ....we went from gun talk to talking about two dudes missing eachother. lol

• Buck up buttercup and get back on topic , I'm getting a bit misty hearing you lament about your love life. ;)

DSArms new FAL upgrades at 2017 NRA

• That Fal is an abomination....it looks like magpul got ahold of the "the right arm of the freeworld"...if someone wanted a "modernized" battle rifle then the scar h seems like a better option based on more accuracy, less weight and lighter recoil. What kind of range can you get with the fal? is a scope even needed? I think mine had a 16" barrel and i got 3-4" or so groupings at 100 yards

• @disciple1 said:
    hk91

Sharper recoil impulse and damages brass .

• the Hk91/Ptr91/G3 rifles are supposedly more reliable than the FAL ...I remember reading an article on another forum about how the brits had alot of issues using the FAL in the desert due to the sand...I will look for the article but i think there were actually tests done on this over in the uk that determined sand was an issue for the FAL...while the HK G3 is widely known to be able to endure any and all climates and weather from below freezing to harsh deserts alomg with being a tank and pretty close to "bullet proof" (as with almost any HK they are over built and over engineered) but outside of it being rough on brass i heard its a pita to work on ..something about the receiver needing cut open to get inside it...but im really not sure on that. Ive heard of people modifying the G3 clones and being able to reload brass but its nowhere near as forgiving as the FAL is....apples to oranges

• I like my ar10 for thumpin and some hog huntin, never had a FAL though, so I caninto't compare. I;ve got ruger precision 308 for my range and it's pretty fun, but here, for range i have to shoot across my neighbors house into the next mountain.

• edited September 2017

The Brits employed a "Sand-Cut Bolt Carrier" which works very good for their L1A1's, but I think that you are confusing the Brits with Israel .
    Now Israel had many issues with not only their versions of the FAL's but ANY FAL that they used, they blamed the sand, and that is what is widely known as why they got rid of those rifles and instead went to the Galil family of rifles.
    What is not widely known is that the Israeli troops were absolutely horrible at cleaning their weapons due to laziness, not enough cleaning kits to go around per soldier and that they were told that the FAL was pretty much "self-cleaning", sound any bit familiar ?
    The same crap that happened when the M-16 was issued to troops in Vietnam, minus the ammo powder change.

That is why the Galil was a hybrid AK, and it worked in both the sand and in maintenance/cleaning. The only issue was cost, that is why when the USA started giving Israel M-16's as part of the aid package they switched to those and just pretty much sold the Galil to other foreign countries.

So do you really think that the M-16 is really better then the Galil , AK or FAL ?

G3's are great , I love'em, but only if you are not going to be reloading the brass or having to pay such an outrageous price for a weapon that was designed to be DISPOSABLE !

Now if I had to personally choose between a G3 , FAL or Galil , all in 7.62x51, then I would go with the Galil followed by the FAL with the G3 last.

But since trying to buy any of those rifles plus magazines and spare parts would cost a mint these days my choice would be looking more and more at a quality piston AR-10.

• I like the ar15 better than the g3,fal or galil...better parts availability, modular,light weight,accurate and plenty reliable if you lube her up properly, more rounds,lighter recoil and can break down and fit in a bag if need be. The ar10 isnt what i would buy..too many propriety parts , no standard spec and its like a maze trying to findout whats compatible between all the brands...if i had to take a .308 rifle with the intention of it being my shtf rifle...the fal,m1a or Scar H would be it....Probably the fal or scar though...it mightve sounded like i was ragging on the Fal but i actually think its a good firearm, i really like the adjustable gas system and the fact that mags are/were cheap. What do you mean the g3 is built to be disposable? i dont know a whole lot about the platform.

• I think you are right about Israel being the ones who had most the issues but the Brits had some early on too...whats funny is Israel mostly uses the m16 now and a small part of thier military uses the galil...the big switch from FALs to 5.56 rifles for Austrailia,Britain,Israel and Canada were mostly cost,weight and nato crap..all of them seem to have rated it pretty highly. and yea Id bet if Israel would have maintained the FAL the same way they do thier current m16s then there wouldve been little to no issues with the platform... The US military wasnt so much lazy (like Israels military) as clueless....i know a guy who served in Nam and he said the high ups told everyone the m16 needed no maintenance and little to no lube along with the use corrosive ammo and no chrome lining it created the myth of the stoner platform being unreliable.