While the site is going through updates you may notice slow downs in page loads and other glitches through out the pages. If something seems to not be working correctly wait a few minutes and try again. If the error persists message taurarious using the forum or email him at Taurarious@threepercenters.org so that he knows an issue exists.

New puppy

Hey guys I just picked up a puppy today. She’s a pitbull husky mix and she’s been breathing rapidly while she sleeps like around 64 breaths per minute. Her chest and belly are also visibly rising and falling with each breath and she’s breathing through her nose. She’s also around 8-10 weeks old give or take. I’m new to raising a puppy and I’m just wondering if that’s normal.

Comments

• Sounds about right, and congratulations on your new addition.
  • Yep. Sounds about right for a pup,

Going to be best friends for life lol. My beagle goes pretty much everywhere with me.

Congrats on your new pup.
  • Good I’m glad it’s a normal thing. We’re already best buddies, she follows me everywhere. I’m going to start doing some basic training for her in a couple weeks when she’s a little older. Her paws are huge so I can already tell she’s gonna be a big dog when she grows up. I’ll see if I can post a pic of her tomorrow some time
  • My male German Shepherd breathes really fast, even while sleeping sometimes and his heartbeat is really hard/fast as well. I think that sounds normal, but my wife is a vet tech and she says that sounds a little too fast breathing. Could you be off a bit in your estimate? My Shepherd is 130 pounds , I think the smallest the critter the faster the heartbeat/breathing. How much does your pup weigh?
  • It could be off so I’ll check again to be sure. She weighs around 15 pounds. I also set an appointment for her to see the vet next week so we’ll see what the vet says too.
  • edited January 12
    I looked around and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there as to just what a "normal" respiration rate is, but this is more in line with what I know.
    Bear in mind that we have SIX dogs, ONE cat ( the coyotes ate all the rest) NINE sheep, EIGHT goats and TWO miniature donkeys..... we had to drastically cut down on the amount of livestock that we once had but none the less I am the one who administers the shots, dewormer, helps with birthing, administers first-aid, tends to torn muscles, sutures when necessary, docks tails when needed, etc, etc, basically if they need it and I can do it, as most rancher types out here do, then it gets done. On rare occasion do we ever take them to a vet because it just costs so much money.
    But here ya go, check out these articles and I'm sure that you will find that your little friend is doing just fine.

https://pets.thenest.com/rapid-breathing-puppies-7361.html

Normal

At rest, a healthy dog's heart beats at a rate that's between 60 and 160 beats per minute. With puppies, you can toss that number out the window. The youngsters have a heart rate that's roughly 220 beats per minute, according to WebMD. As a dog's breathing increases, so does its heart rate, so it's normal for puppies to breathe a bit faster than their adult counterparts. However, a puppy should breathe only slightly faster than an adult dog. He shouldn't be panting -- unless he's hot or stressed -- and he shouldn't sound congested or have difficulty breathing.

https://www.rover.com/blog/dogs-vital-signs/
    How to Check Your Dog’s Vital Signs
    A normal heart rate for dogs is between 60 and 140 beats per minute.
    To determine your dog’s heart rate:

Put your hand to his chest
    Count how many pulses you feel in 15 seconds
    Multiply by 4 to get the number of beats per minute

If you have trouble detecting heart beats in the chest area, try placing two fingers on the middle of your dog’s thigh near where the leg joins the body. There, you should be able to feel the femoral artery pulsing each time the heart beats.
    Your Dog’s Rate of Respiration

Next, you want to determine your dog’s rate of respiration, at rest (in other words, not right after a game of fetch). A healthy dog, depending on breed, takes between 12 and 24 breaths per minute.
    To measure breathing rate:

Count the number of times the chest expands in 10 seconds
    Multiply by 6

You can do this either by watching your dog or resting your hand on the ribs. Normal respirations should not make any noise, and should require very little effort. Of course, if you have a brachycephalic breed like a Pug or English Bulldog, a little snort from time to time can be expected.
    Checking Your Dog’s Body Temperature

The final vital sign to measure in your pet is body temperature; a normal temperature is around 100.5 degrees Fahrenheit to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

And yes, the best measure of true body temperature is taken rectally, so you might want to distract your dog with a treat or toy while you take the temperature. If you (or your dog) aren’t comfortable with that particular method, the next best tool is an ear thermometer or “touch-free” infrared thermometer that is made specifically for animals.
  • She went to the vet yesterday and she’s a healthy pup! They checked her lungs and everything else and it all sounds good. She got all of her shots as well so all is good.