While the site is going through updates you may notice slow downs in page loads and other glitches through out the pages. If something seems to not be working correctly wait a few minutes and try again. If the error persists message taurarious using the forum or email him at Taurarious@threepercenters.org so that he knows an issue exists.

Emergen-C

What are you guys opinions of this powder Vitamin C supplement? I’m currently using it to kick this cold my girlfriend, her children, and I have come down with. Do any of you stock this stuff? Does it work for you?

Comments

• I have family that take it at 1st sign of cold. They say it works if used IMMEDIATELY. I guess it's more soluble than tablets, or something.

I just use Walmart brand VitC. I use it intermittently to PREVENT colds. You pee away anything that isn't used. And your body gets accustomed to the Intake, so DON"T take it everyday or your body considers it a pollutant to excrete. But twice a week does me GREAT!

You get some C in your foods, this is just a bump when you need it.
  • To summarize, it says that daily use of 200mg shortens duration and severity, and reduces acquisition in Athletes by 50%.
    The effect of vitamin C on the common cold has been extensively researched. The earliest publication of a controlled clinical trial appears to be from 1945.[29] Researchers continued to work on this question, but research interest and public interest spiked after Linus Pauling, two-time awardee of the Nobel Prize (Chemistry Prize, 1954, Peace Prize 1962), started publishing research on the topic and also published a book "Vitamin C and the Common Cold" in 1970.[30] A revised and expanded edition "Vitamin C, the Common Cold and the Flu" was published in 1976.[31]

The most recent meta-analysis, a Cochrane Review published in 2013, with inclusion criteria limited to trials that called for at least 200 mg/day, concluded that vitamin C taken on a regular basis was not effective in prevention of the common cold. Limiting inclusion to trials that called for at least 1000 mg/day made no difference. However, taking vitamin C on a regular basis did reduce average duration by 8% in adults and 14% in children, and also reduced severity of colds.[4] A subset of trials reported that supplementation reduced the incidence of colds by half in marathon runners, skiers, or soldiers in subarctic conditions.[4] Another subset of trials looked at therapeutic use, meaning that vitamin C was not started unless the people started to feel the beginnings of a cold. In these, vitamin C did not impact duration or severity.[4] An earlier review stated that vitamin C did not prevent colds, did reduce duration, did not reduce severity.[32] The authors of the Cochrane review concluded that "...given the consistent effect of vitamin C on the duration and severity of colds in the regular supplementation studies, and the low cost and safety, it may be worthwhile for common cold patients to test on an individual basis whether therapeutic vitamin C is beneficial for them."[4]

Vitamin C distributes readily in high concentrations into immune cells, has antimicrobial and natural killer cell activities, promotes lymphocyte proliferation, and is consumed quickly during infections, effects indicating a prominent role in immune system regulation.[33] The European Food Safety Authority found a cause and effect relationship exists between the dietary intake of vitamin C and functioning of a normal immune system in adults and in children under three years of age.[34][35]
  • Okay so as far as the research into vitamin C. Most of it is hokie at best. Although vitamin c is good for a person there is a point where it has no value. Anything more than 500mg daily can actually create issues.

I know this first hand. I used to take a 1000mg vitamin c daily. This practice over the course of an entire year actually caused health issues. My doctor said that this is actually the reason I developed gout. I was having attacks almost every two weeks and after following his recommendation to discontinue they went away. I haven’t had an issue since.

The problem is that even though it is vitamin c it is not a naturally occurring vitamin c. If a person was to inject the vitamin c through orange juice or an orange itself there is much greater effect on the body and little to no down side. Essentially the only reason anyone should ever take a vitamin c supplement is to treat the early onset of scurvy. Since scurvy is not an issue unless your diet consists only of bread and fish while at sea with your pirate buddies there is no real benefit to it.

Okay, so why does it seem to work for some people. Well it’s because the human mind is an incredible thing. If I give you a magic cube that you need to dissolve on your tongue and I tell you it will heal anything that ails you, and here is the trick, you believe it whole heartedly, than it actually is proven it will. Aka placebo effect.

Honestly there are two things I have found that help me get over a cold faster, number one I don’t let myself feel sorry for myself. This makes you feel sicker and can actually make this thing last longer as your body spends time attempting to correct your mood due to electrical and hormonal imbalances in the brain instead of focusing on what is making you sick. And number two. Physically active people get sick less. This isn’t because of the fact that they are healthier than anyone, but rather based on the toxin exchange rate of the human body. Everyone has heard sweat it out, but that doesn’t have to mean bundling up and laying around. See point one, idle minds tend to wander. Get out and push yourself to the limit. Work it out and remember to drink lots of water. The idea is that you sweat out toxins and replace the fluids with clean ones. Repeatedly doing this will flush the system faster.

I’m not a medical professional and really it’s best to do what works, but this is my two cents.
  • Active ppl have better Immune, Hormonal and Regulatory Systems. That's why the heal faster and function better. The time to exercise is BEFORE you get sick. During will only break your body down faster while it's already repairing. But MILD activity IS helpful for flushing as you said. (Feed a Cold, starve a Flu because Flu Virus needs purged w high temps and fluid exchange, while food just fuels your bodies virus replication system. Starving slows the replication while your KillerT cells and antigens attack the virus.)

I very much agree w the bulk of your post. o:)
  • Just eat a pineapple when you feel a cold coming, or down a jug of all natural not from concentrate pineapple juice, and toss in a banana for good measure.
  • Get yer mitts on some Elderberry Syrup, that straiten ya out . But as most things that are really really good for ya ...... yeah the taste leaves something to be desired.
    https://wellnessmama.com/1888/elderberry-syrup/
  • null

I love some elderberry syrup
  • I'm with you on that one. I take elderberry syrup that is mixed with raspberry flavor, so it's actually delicious.
    And I get sick MUCH less than I used to.
  • If you want to boost your immune system, check out the benefits of pine needle tea.
  • Anyone have a quick cure for the flu? My girlfriend’s grandmother had me drink the juice of a baked onion, it’s her family flu cure all.
  • ONions are naturally antibiotic, antimicrobial. That makes sense. But no, Flus are Viral, so high temp and less food is the only way to alter the viral replication while your Killer-T and Leukocytes are attacking the infected cells and virus.
  • Don't forget to get as much sunlight as possible and fresh air while recovering, a dark stuffy room is not healthy.
  • Don't forget to get as much sunlight as possible and fresh air while recovering, a dark stuffy room is not healthy.

+++1 on the Sunlight. Bundle Up, Get Outside in the Fresh Air and Get Some Sun !!
    And use plenty of sunblock, whitey. B)
  • I don’t think being in 30 degree weather with this is going to do me any good.
  • Leviathan wrote: »
    I don’t think being in 30 degree weather with this is going to do me any good.

So long as you are out of the wind it will, oh and don't forget the Pine Needle Tea while you do.
  • Constant 5-7 mph wind. Garage wouldn’t help, being the only non windy place with two smokers and a vape’er.
  • Leviathan wrote: »
    Constant 5-7 mph wind. Garage wouldn’t help, being the only non windy place with two smokers and a vape’er.

Love ya son...... :D
  • Real classy pop. Kicking your boy while he’s down. Love you too dad, I hope all is well for you and mom. I’m giving you a call later today, let me know a good time for you.