While the site is going through updates you may notice slow downs in page loads and other glitches through out the pages. If something seems to not be working correctly wait a few minutes and try again. If the error persists message taurarious using the forum or email him at Taurarious@threepercenters.org so that he knows an issue exists.

Cold-weather support group

OK, the weather in a lot of the country sucks right now.

My hands were so cold by the time I got to my office this morning, that I dropped my bagel! :s

Can we exchange stories and advice about dealing with cold weather?
I'm chomping at the bit to get out over the next few days and do some hiking, but it's just too fucking cold and risky.

I can probably keep the rest of my body warm, but if it's really cold out, and I have to take off my gloves to try to start a fire, or tie some paracord, or whatever, I'm fucked.

Comments

• There are very thin insulative gloves that you don't need to remove. They mainly block the wind and slow the heat bleed, and you wear other Gloves on top of them. They are like an undershirt. You don't need to take them off to do fine manual manipulations. We cops wear a different type to block needles, etc.
  • So I'm from the desert and moved up north of Seattle

Cold rainy snow ice this white boy hates it.

Some lessons I learned.

Layer are a good thing, Thin base layer and then heavy outer layers. I wear insulated gloves most of the time. My guys call me a desert wimp.

I tell them I take my jacket off when it gets above 95 and it is only short sleeve weather after 105.
  • I second wearing layers. When I lived in CO I would wrap my shemagh around my head and face and then get the snow off my car before work and let my car warm up while I did that.

I heard it’s supposed to get down to the 30’s in the Tampa Bay Area next week so I might have to bust out my winter gear. Can’t believe that 60 degrees is cold to me now..
  • I LOVE cool weather. If it gets above 72F inside I'm uncomfortable. Outside I'm good til 98F. Then I need lots of wet wraps to cool my head and neck. (I'm 60#s overweight, BTW. :'( )
    If it was 45-72 everyday, I'd be thrilled. 52F is brisk for me. I don't get homebound until about 0F. THEN I limit my time outside and protect my eyes and face. I was in Salina KS when it was windchill of -45F. They warned that even eyeballs would freeze if not covered with goggles. THAT was cold. Worse than the BEAUTIFUL winter that I spent in Russia. It never got below -13C. Beautiful Snowscapes. Insulative snow that trapped the heat because of the Boundary Layer of air pockets that they trapped atop our coats. Perfect for me. o:) <3
  • edited December 2017
    I second wearing layers. When I lived in CO I would wrap my shemagh around my head and face and then get the snow off my car before work and let my car warm up while I did that.

I heard it’s supposed to get down to the 30’s in the Tampa Bay Area next week so I might have to bust out my winter gear. Can’t believe that 60 degrees is cold to me now..

Yep, living in Florida will do that to you, I grew up in Orlando and I cant stand being cold. What makes it even worse is while stationed in Co. I suffered a minor case of frostbite. Now when my feet get cold it feels like they are in boiling water. I'm now In North Carolina state where we do get occasional winter temps in the single digits.

I'm still trying to find some good socks to keep my feet warm at work. Anyone have some recommendations? I did find a great pair of cold weather hiking boots by Wolverine, My feet don't get cold while wearing them. If I wear them when temps get over 60 my feat sweat.
  • I’m the same way WR, can’t sleep if it’s hotter than 72. I’ve never really experienced humidity until I moved to FL so I start complaining when it gets over 85 which is literally every day during the summer. 85 with humidity and 85 without humidity feels completely different.
  • Hahaha. What a wimp. I grew up in the north woods of Wisconsin. I don’t wear a jacket until it’s -40. And then it’s a thin leather jacket. Otherwise it’s just sweatshirts for day to day. If I’m planning on being out for a long time it depends on what’s going on. If I’m going to be active no more than what is needed. Under layer and a sweatshirt with jeans. If standing around I will look like the damn stay puff marshmallow man. If you are over dressed you will end up sweating and getting even more cold.
  • Mop: we joke here that it's 97F/97% humidity. That's actually true in July/Augusts.

Barrett: In the USAF (and Boy Scouts) we wore thin cotton under-socks and heavy wool over-socks. This wicked the moisture away, and provided lots of insulation.
  • Mop: we joke here that it's 97F/97% humidity. That's actually true in July/Augusts.

Barrett: In the USAF (and Boy Scouts) we wore thin cotton under-socks and heavy wool over-socks. This wicked the moisture away, and provided lots of insulation.
    I heard that cotton retains moisture and loses its insulative value when wet, and for that reason is bad to wear in cold weather.
    I usually wear polypropylene or silk sock and glove liners.
    Some of them wick better than others.
    I wish I could attach that picture of me wearing five pairs of socks to sleep on a winter camping trip a few years ago.
    (I have very sexy legs: skinny and hairy.) <3
  • If it wasn’t super cold out I would shovel snow in my flip flops and shorts just because I was too lazy to put boots on. In Colorado there could be a decent amount of snow on the ground but still a little toasty outside and sunny. That’s one thing I miss about winter.
  • In Colorado today at 8000 ft. I was working on our greenhouse out in the wind today , averaged 10 mph at 45 degrees , bare chested and wearing cotton jeans........ and I was soooooo comfortable !
    The secret is in the beard, it acts like a swamp cooler. :D
  • acclimating your body for cold weather
  • Merino wool socks are all I wear when the temp is below 30 they keep my feet warm enough while walking all day. For gloves I got some under armor cold weather gloves thin enough to sort my mail and keep the hands pretty warm.
  • acclimating your body for cold weather
    I think you can do the same thing through repeated cold water submersion. And I think what it does is eventually begin to permanently constrict the blood vessels in your skin, so you don't lose heat as fast.
    But taking cold showers is pretty miserable to me, and I don't know if I'm motivated enough to do it.

Although in my shitty apartment, sometimes I don't have a choice. :D

• What do you mean ..." sometimes I don't have a choice." ?

I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE, you can always choose when is the best time to catch the HOT water.

Time to toughen up buttercup , no pain no gain ! :D
  • I acclimate to the cold quickly. I LOVED ND, even when I was chasing coyotes when it was -80 with windchill.

Layers. Omniheat is amazing. Cotton kills, wool warms. If you can’t afford real wool, polypro is usually cheap and works almost as well. I was out today in a nasty Texas winter day (47 for the high, 38 windchill and light rain and mist) and was perfectly fine in my layers despite being wet halfway through my range session. Outer layer should be water proof and wind proof, even if it’s not warm at all.

Gloves are always tricky because bulk removes dexterity. That’s why I like Omni heat gloves, the skin tight then the over gloves, if you need to lose a layer, you’re good for a while, just remember to put your outer layer inside of your jacket if they will be off for any length of time, otherwise they will cool really fast and heat up slow while sapping the heat from you hands.
  • I've also found that Frog Togs work well. They are water proof and very wind resistant as well as a thin layer. I've seen them at Wal-Mart and farm and home stores for about $40 a set.
  • I've been reading a book about Chinese medicine. And I've noticed that in similar conditions, sometimes I feel cold, and sometimes I don't. I suspect there's something else going on physiologically that makes us feel cold sometimes.
    The trick, it is to determine what that is.
    It could be a combination of things, or any one of several different ones.
  • The sensation of "Cold" is a funny thing. It pairs previous sensations, with previous Events in which we were cold. When hands are in water-proof gloves and we immerse them in water, the heat leaching from the hands is perceived as "wet." Yet frostbite feels hot. It's also connected with pressure receptors. If we apply pressure, we feel the illusion of heat. This has to do with blood flow.

Swelling also causes the feeling of heat. Wind can feel cold, but causes both windburn and frostbite.

It's also highly Subjective and Mental. I can use biofeedback to raise or lower my skin temp. I can ignore the cold and go somewhere else in my head to limit shaking. But eventually, the Midbrain takes over and FORCES shuddering to raise core temp.

Your Chinese book is probly really good. They OBSERVED Nature and tested their Theories. "Chi" is more hormonal flow that they couldn't test for 3k yrs ago. But they were on the right Track. It's also nerve impulses that travel and can now be measured. They checked mine because of neck injuries. My hands and arms sometimes go numb because of pinched nerve branches going through my C3-5 vertebrae.
  • its colder than a witches titty in a brass braw doing push ups in the siberian snow here
  • LOL, Tackleberry! It was frigid in DFW over the weekend, ND October cold even.

At least we are seeing 50 degree temps again while the east coast is getting crushed.
  • yeah its not as bad today....