BOB’s for Those with Bad Backs

Alright dudes, I have to ask the question that will hurt my young pride. I’m 22, and I was in a wreck that left me with a herniated disc in my low back just above my pelvis. So I must ask about ideal weight of a BOB for those of us here with bad backs, in the event we must hoof it home or out to a different location.

Comments

• Hey bud, I was in a wreck when I was a little younger than you, I couldn't walk more than 30 feet before I had to lay down. I ended up on disability and had major surgery on my lower back,plates screws,bone graft, the works. Get it fixed as soon as you can, after I had mine done and rehabbed, I got off disability and went back to work. I'm not as healthy as I should be but after 30 years I'm still working. There really isn't a crutch for a bad back so take care of it when you can.
  • Ahhh there ya be my long lost boy !

I use game cart, might want to check them out for hauling heavy loads, they even fold up.

• Get a bike!

vietnamese-cargo-bike.jpg

Grab up a surplus police Trek or Fuji or one of the Swiss Army bikes, and surf some of the cross country cycling forums for ideas on proper setup of your load. Heres a couple links to bikes to get you started...

https://www.botach.com/police-bicycles/

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/swiss-military-surplus-army-mo-93-military-bicycle-7-speed-used?a=1847491&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Military+Collectibles&utm_term=swiss+army+bicycle&pmdgtl=1&mkwid=DCd1OYsp&pcrid=12383069421&mtype=be&devicetype=c

• I can’t store a bike in the bed of my work truck. I don’t want to raise suspicion, or cause for the company to go snooping. I’m an underground utility locator by trade, so I’m used to carrying 35-60 pounds at one time. I do pay for it if I screw up going down a steep grade incorrectly. In my line of work, I walk A LOT, and I cover from Canton/Woodstock to Marietta/Kennesaw. It’s maybe a 130-150 mile line, and I have maps for the area.
  • I'm assuming it's not that cold in Georgia. The heaviest thing any of us should be carrying is water, and if there are water sources in the area, you don't have to carry that much.
    Just carry some way to treat water for drinking.
    Of course if you're familiar with the area, you could hide caches along the route, so you don't have to carry that much of anything.

I believe ol' Scout said: "Travel light".
  • edited December 6
    Delete
  • TLP,
    I’m familiar with the area. Not many open water sources without having to hike a while in. I’d probably carry something similar to two 2 Qt canteens, and a platypus bag. I don’t have anywhere to cache things along the way, unless it was on 575. Too many eyes everywhere I go. Even in the more rural areas.
  • I think I've seen carry-on sized suitcases that have wheels, a collapsable pull handle, and backpack straps.
    Would that work?
    I work near the luggage district of Chinatown. :D
    I'll take a look if you want.
  • Lol it’s all good. Let’s talk non tactical BOB’s. What brands and models do you guys run?
  • Earth tone solid colored bags are about as non-tactical as I get, check out hill people gear or wait for Arcteryx LEAF stuff to go on sale. Not sure what all you're planning to hump, but with your physical condition I'd limit the load to <25 lbs, or pack some motrin. I can get through just about anything with Motrin.
  • How about you carry a normal, heavy BOB in your truck, and if you actually have to beat feet, throw together a travois to carry it?

Dave Canterbury had a video on it, but I can't find it.
  • orrrr.........
  • Can you put a pack animal in your work truck?
  • FrankWhite,
    I’m planning on humping enough gear to get me home at most 100 miles from home without issue. I’ve been thinking about an Eberlestock Sky Crane, the caveat to that is the pack on its own is 10 lbs.
  • How about this little one ???

[qzanja0jitfqf.png

• edited December 9
    If all your planning is a 100 mile or so bug-out trip home? Layer up. Go with the tactical gear. Your "rolling gear" as I call it. Under that is your "fighting load". Rolling gear consists of survival items, not pog(ie) bait.(comfort items). Poncho, liner, fire starter, navigation equipment (map and compass, NO GPS), strings for making poncho into tent, canteen and cup (camelbacks suck at boiling water or wildlife), flashlight, and IFAK. Your fighting load is ammo, pistol, blade, etc. Keep your load less than 40 pounds (weapons included) as Frank already suggested. People generally over think, or over pack their BOB. A ruck is better suited for bugging out with no intention of returning, or no solid plan of where you will end up. Keep the majority of your gear at your intended BOL. You're trying to get home, not running FROM home. I don't have a bad back, but, weight of gear is a REAL issue for me. My fighting load is only 150 rounds of rifle ammo. That's perfect for this particular scenario as you ain't going to war, you're avoiding it. Plus, it's easier to conceal behind your truck seats. A large pack, or ruck sitting in your vehicle attracts the attention of would be thieves who are just now coming to the realization that us prepper nuts may not be so crazy after all. Bug out bags are meant to keep you alive, not comfortable.
  • Scout,
    What BOB would you recommend? I’ve been looking at Eberlestock, and Spec Ops brands. I have a 3-day assault pack from them, and it’s pretty sweet, but it is currently with my girlfriend, because her vehicle has been giving her issues, and their power is bound to go out due to our latest snow down here.
  • Scout's BOB is his Kabar and a tin of Cope! :D
  • Burley gear is good stuff. We have a Burley trailer, and I love it. BOB strollers are great too. They are what the gun guys use to stroller their three gun gear around, just under a different name, but it’s the same stuff.

Just make sure you get solid inner tubes.

• Leviathan wrote: »
    Scout,
    What BOB would you recommend? I’ve been looking at Eberlestock, and Spec Ops brands. I have a 3-day assault pack from them, and it’s pretty sweet, but it is currently with my girlfriend, because her vehicle has been giving her issues, and their power is bound to go out due to our latest snow down here.

With a bad back and only 100 miles roughly? No pack at all. Like I said, layer your rolling gear over your fighting load using 2 LBV's. DRESS WARM if your environment is cold. https://goo.gl/images/B72Jm6 use one of these over your alice LCE that matches the environment you plan to cross. On the alice: pistol, 2 mags, bayonet/fighting knife, and fire starter. On the LBV: 4 single mag pouches, IFAK, compass, canteen/cup, poncho, liner, and strings. I'd add a small survival kit, fishing line and whatnot. Folks have a tendency to view a 100 mile hike as a game ender, but, it ain't. You can do it in 10 days maximum even with a bad back at 10 miles per day. If you don't want to stop to find food, add a couple MRE's to your LBV. As far as water goes, unless you are crossing a desert, you will find a water hole every now and again over 100 miles, even if it is on the back of someone's toilet bowl. Remember, the less you carry, the faster you move. And more comfortably at that. As far as a pack for long term with a bad back? Small ALICE with frame. It don't carry much, but, neither do bad backs.