Court overturns snipers conviction for urinating on taliban fighters.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/10/court-overturns-marine-snipers-conviction-for-urinating-on-dead-taliban-fighters.html

Court overturns Marine sniper's conviction for urinating on dead Taliban fighters
Fox News

This image taken from a video posted on YouTube and edited for graphic content appears to show four Marines as they prepare to urinate on corpses.

A military court on Wednesday overturned the conviction of a former Marine sniper involved in urinating on dead Taliban soldiers in Afghanistan in 2011 after evidence emerged that a top general meddled in the case to ensure a harsh punishment, reports said.

Staff Sgt. Joseph Chamblin was convicted almost five years ago and sentenced to 30 days confinement, had his pay docked and was demoted over a video that showed the Marines urinating on enemy corpses, The Washington Post reported.

A new ruling revealed that now-retired Gen. James F. Amos and some of his senior staff apparently tried to “severely and systematically” influence the case to ensure the Marines who were involved in the controversy would face harsher punishment.

Amos allegedly told then-Lt. Gen. Thomas Waldhauser that the Marines need to be “crushed” and discharged from the Corps over their behavior.

Waldhauser, who was investigating the case, said Amos tried to pressure him into issuing the Marines a general courts-martial – the highest form of criminal trial – and threatened to make someone else the authority in the cases after Waldhauser refused to do so.

“I responded, ‘No, I’m not going to do that,’ stating that I did not believe any of the cases warranted General Court-Martial,” Waldhauser said in a statement, the Post reported.

Amos replaced Waldhauser a few days later with another military official, the report said.

Navy Cmdr. Marcus N. Fulton, who wrote the recent ruling, said overturning the conviction is a “drastic remedy” but was needed to “foster public confidence in the … fairness of our system of justice.”

“The highest-ranking officer in the Marine Corps told (the officer, supervising the case) that the appellant and his co-accused should be ‘crushed,’” the court wrote in its ruling, according to The Post. “This is an unusually flagrant example of UCI (unlawful command influence). We find that UCI this direct, and occurring at this level, is highly corrosive to public trust in this proceeding.”

Chamblin said at the time that he does not regret his actions, adding that he would do it again if he had the chance. “[If] anything, it was more of a psychological effect on the enemy because if an infidel touches the body, they’re not going to Mecca or paradise,” he told reporters at the time, according to the New York Post. “So, now these insurgents see what happens when you mess with us.”

Comments

• this guy should get a medal for pissing on the dead taliban fighters ... not A demotion.
  • No JWF, he shouldn't. Do I like hajji? Anybody who has been a part of this forum longer than 20 minutes can answer that question for you. But, there is such a thing as "Honor" in combat, you've ALREADY killed the goat fucking maggot, I think he's got the friggin point. You ALREADY have the last laugh, be a man and go kill some more and leave that one for his maggot mother to mourn over. Just like them dragging our troop's naked bloody bodies through the streets, we should have "naped the entire vill." Do they have honor in combat? No, they are TRULY savages. The honor of OUR troops is what makes them the better men/women. Yes, I hate hajji, but, as a constitutionalist, I cannot claim to have more rights than he does. EVERYONE has a right to meet their creator in whatever manner they deem appropriate, NONE of us have the right to interfere with that.
  • That Marine deserved punishment, but I'm thinking Art. 15 punishment. Not much else. If they needed to make a national example, Art 15 and then removal from combat and latrine/head duty while his CoC stand in between him scrubbing toilets and the camera interviewing how he is being punished and learning that degrading someone isn't what our military is about.

His unit rebdeploys later, he goes with them and does his job again.

Guys get jaded and need punished for some action, but what he got was far too much, especially if there was undue influence from high level command.
  • i dont believe in honoring somebody youve killed...youve already taken thier life and if they deserved it then fuck them...Alot of people believe in the zen ,honor and respect aspect of it all...I dont..im not into budo or any of that either ....i believe in being a savage and "bringing the hate"(I stole that saying from A member on here) To me there is no reason to admire or be impressed with someone that forced me to kill them, To each his own but i dont have respect for someone based on the fact that they forced me to fight or kill them.
  • Yes sradeski, my opinion same as yours, Article 15, and return to duty, not what he got. JWF, Lots of us will remember how you see it should the time ever come. You are entitled to that belief. But, when it's YOUR decapitated, mutilated, bloody, and pissed on corpse being returned to YOUR mother, we'll make sure to comfort her by showing her your words and letting her know that you were ok with what they did to you.
  • Scout_one wrote: »
    Yes sradeski, my opinion same as yours, Article 15, and return to duty, not what he got. JWF, Lots of us will remember how you see it should the time ever come. You are entitled to that belief. But, when it's YOUR decapitated, mutilated, bloody, and pissed on corpse being returned to YOUR mother, we'll make sure to comfort her by showing her your words and letting her know that you were ok with what they did to you.

I also concur .
  • JWF, spoken like someone whose never had their life in the line against a well trained adversary.

Make you a deal, I am debating re enlisting, putting a few things in order to accomplish this. Why don't you join with me? We can join and request a unit set to deploy to Afghanistan or Iraq, and after a year there, we can see how honor plays in your head. It's not exactly how Scout says it is, but that's not his fault. It's different because it's impossible to explain fully. You don't like the guy trying to kill you, and you don't respect what he is fighting for necessarily, but you respect him as a warrior because he is putting his ass on the line the same as you. You die, you die, but you don't want desecrated after death, so why do it to him, even if he would to you. We act like savages during the fight, but act better than them after the fight because it's how we would want treated ourselves. Even if we leave them to rot there, we don't desecrate a body. And THATS why the SEALs never got to release the photos of Bin Laden, they desecrated him and it would cause serious problems on many levels. Even with Rob whatshisnuts bragging about it, there's deniability if we never see it.
  • Quote from sradeski, "It's different because it's impossible to explain fully." Exactly. Till you've seen it, ya just won't get it.
  • Lol the haji wouldnt respect our body either.....Who said anything about returning any bodies? If I ever have to kill somebody i dont give a shit if wild animals eat the corpse or if it sits there for years...im not gonna play with it or anything but its not my problem and im not very sentimental...i dont care what anybody does with my dead body its just a shell...id prefer to be burned though. If it was A person i cared about or even just knew or even somebody i didnt know i would/might honor them with a proper burial ....but my enemy? fuck no...fuck them and i mean clear past the gates of hell all the way through the bowels ....if i didnt respect you in life ...then that wont change after your heart stops beating. Maybe im a little fucked up.
  • Lack of respect for an enemy leads to complacency, underestimation, and ultimately, defeat.
  • Ive never killed anyone but my dad died in front of me when i was 14 and ive seen some shit i probably wont ever talk about in places that id rather forget , growing up homeless to meth addict parents then getting involved in bad shit with bad people has left me feeling not very sentimental about death or evil people...and you have no idea what ive been through man...I might not not have served but ive seen enough to know how i feel about death my childhood was beyond fucked up and i base my opinions off being desensitized to death not ignorant to it. to each his own though.
  • Scout_one wrote: »
    Lack of respect for an enemy leads to complacency, underestimation, and ultimately, defeat.

my grandfather was a master sargent in the air force, and he said that in his unit, calling the vietcong gooks or zipperheads was off limits because they were worthy adversaries
  • yet theres been planty warrior cultures that were savages and didnt respect thier dead enemies ..."Lack of respect for an enemy leads to complacency, underestimation, and ultimately, defeat"....I dont agree with you here....theres too many examples of the opposite... although underestimating anybody is a stupid move ... I think discipline and taking your opponent serious is the key factor ...not neccassarily respect.
  • You recognize how Im not trying to tell you your wrong for your beliefs? Its a matter of opinion thats it.
  • edited November 10
    "yet theres been planty warrior cultures that were savages and didnt respect thier dead enemies" ..... Uh, huh. Where them fellas at? Extinct. ....... ""Lack of respect for an enemy leads to complacency, underestimation, and ultimately, defeat"....I dont agree with you here....theres too many examples of the opposite.." .... Show me a currently surviving example please? Other than Muslims whose savagery has YET to grant them success? "ULTIMATELY DEFEAT."
  • JWFJWF
    edited November 10
    Why only current examples? Us Americans have lost wars too... and if what your saying is true niether the muslims or viet cong wouldve put up as much of a fight as they have/did.
  • The American way and your moral code arnt the only way man. And there is no right way to do any of this its a matter of opinion not fact. History shows whats worked and what hasnt... its our greatest teacher. There were battles won and lost by destroying morale which involved sketchy dark shit like whats being discussed here.
  • And to be clear i mean no disrespect to your opinion scout one..i just dont share the same beliefs and i dont find the militaries way the most effective in alot of ways...i dont believe thier should be so much politics in war and only basic moral principles should be applied...war was never meant to be civil or morally sound ...The US of A couldve ended these wars faster with less deaths on our side if we cut back on all the rules and politics...maybe cut the troops some slack...this marine is a warrior and maybe couldve conducted himself a little better..he simply resorted to gloating by pissing on his dead enemy.
  • "Why only current examples?" ..... Because there are none. Ultimately, they were ALL defeated, and extinct. None of them EVER became total dominant world powers. Nope, not even "Victor Charles". ...... "The American way and your moral code arnt the only way man." ...... This is true, however, it's the ONLY way that keeps the entire planet from declaring you a SAVAGE axis of evil, forming a coalition of forces, and removing you from whatever power you may have. I on the other hand can give you several examples of how savagery has collapsed governments and dictatorships in the last 30 years. I'll start with Mohammed Farrah Aidid in Mogadishu. Need I continue? And THOSE are FACTS my friend.
  • edited November 11

Okay everyone this is starting to get not so friendly or intellectually stimulating, so how about we take a trip back in time , huh ?

.... and .... let's be kind to one another, brothers.
  • So...... here is my take.

I can respect a foe that follows the rules of the Warrior, and if he should die then I would respect his body by not desecrating it. I might not bury it, or them, but I would lay them out respectively after I stripped them of anything usable.

Those that are weak and have no Warrior Code, then those are the ones that I would not have an issue with chopping them up while alive and wrapping their remains in a fresh Hog's hide, and buried under a field latrine !

I hope that clears up my "feelings" on this ?? :)

• The dead are just that, dead. I don't see pissing on a corpse any different than pissing on random dirt, but thats my opinion and not going to hold up in a court room against laws or regulations.