While the site is going through updates you may notice slow downs in page loads and other glitches through out the pages. If something seems to not be working correctly wait a few minutes and try again. If the error persists message taurarious using the forum or email him at Taurarious@threepercenters.org so that he knows an issue exists.

Pick up truck knowledge: F-150 vs. Tundra

I mentioned in a previous thread my plan to buy a used pick up truck in the next few months, and then when I retire in six years, put a camper in the bed and drive around the country for a few months.
I've already been in touch with a couple of us that are mechanically inclined.
Sounds to me like the tundra is much better made.
One of the reasons I want a big truck is for the interior room.
I thought that they were both in the same class, but when you see them side-by-side, there's no comparison. The F150 looks at least half a size bigger than the tundra. The F150 is also bigger on the inside.

Opinions?
Advice?

Comments

• edited August 2017
    I had a 2008 tundra before my divorce and it was way roomier than it looked.....I'm 6'5 and could sit in the back seat with plenty of room. The 5.7 could pull anything without a problem. Only real draw back was mpg......terrible gas mileage.
  • Both vehicles are in the same class. One thing to keep in mind when buying a truck is what are you planning to do with it. I know there are dodge, chevy, ford, toyota guys that will talk them all up like they are the king truck, and all others suck balls. The reality though is they are all pretty comparable, but you have to look at what you intend on doing with them in the long run. chevy has a sturdier bed than dodge and ford, dodge has better drive train power than the others, ford has a quieter ride than the others and toyota has the reliability the others lack. My best advice would be go to a junk yard and look around at the trucks in your area that match what you are looking at. Doing this at the junk yard allows you to see the condition they are in after being beat into submission. What is right for New Joysea, isnt necessarily right for Wisconsin or Colorado. Different road conditions and weather make for different wear of components. Living in the Rust belt, im extremely used to seeing all these vehicle equally rusted out, but all of them still run down the road.

now that my un biased opinion is out there. Time for my biased one.

Dodge, either get yourself a real truck, or dont bother. I will say at least Ford knows thier problem, only instead of fixing it they just circled it. Toyota, are you serious, it says toy right in the name, good truck for kids. Chevy, is like the retarded cousin. Alsways wears a bowtie to work, so it never likes getting dirty. haha :p

• Dodge mega cab is my choice unless your doing a good amount of off road driving. Even at slow speeds the ride comfort is terrible at best. It will bounce the teeth right out of your head.

Chevy 1500 Z71 is my favorite rough road and off road truck. At the ranch I drive a 1999 Z71. It's a smooth ride and it starts every time I turn the key, and has never left me stranded. Power steering issue was the only time I've taken it to shop. I drive a Chevy 2007 1500 Extended Cab everywhere else. It's got 157,000 miles and a front end suspension overhaul is my only repair so far. It also starts everytime I turn the key and has never left me stranded.

My first two trucks were both Ford's a F150 Supercab and an F250 King Ranch. I don't remember year models but I do know both had under 100k miles. Both left me stranded. The F150 rear differential blew up on me 4 hrs from the house. The F250 had total transmission failure in between Tatum and Roswell NM.

FORD= Found On Road Dead

Toyota= Don't use a Toy to do a Trucks job.
    You play with a Toy you work with a
    truck .
  • But My Glock is Way Better Than a 1911...

OOPS...Wrong Thread... :D

• F ix
    O r
    R epair
    D aily

• @sovereignbob said:
    But My Glock is Way Better Than a 1911...

OOPS...Wrong Thread... :D

And SB with the win.

• Knowing that you plan to use it with a camper in the bed, don't get anything less than a 2500 series. The camper is going to weigh more than 500#s and a 1500 series is a quarter ton capacity. The suspension will wear out very fast when over loaded and good possibility that the dive train will not last long either.

Get a 2500 series and have a good transmission cooler installed.

Regular maintenance is very important to the longevity of the truck as a whole. Change all fluids as the manufacturer recommends.

• @Barrett said:
    Knowing that you plan to use it with a camper in the bed, don't get anything less than a 2500 series. The camper is going to weigh more than 500#s and a 1500 series is a quarter ton capacity. The suspension will wear out very fast when over loaded and good possibility that the dive train will not last long either.

Get a 2500 series and have a good transmission cooler installed.

Regular maintenance is very important to the longevity of the truck as a whole. Change all fluids as the manufacturer recommends.

Can an f-150 handle a camper?

• A topper shell yes but a real camper weighs more than the one quarter ton(500lbs) and that's more than the max load capabilities of an F150 or 1500 series chassis no matter who makes it.

If your dead set on a 1500 series, get a light weight camper trailer it won't over load the chassis and suspension. That would be my choice because when you get to your destination you can unhitch it and use the truck to go sight seeing and things like that.

• @Barrett said:
    A topper shell yes but a real camper weighs more than the one quarter ton(500lbs) and that's more than the max load capabilities of an F150 or 1500 series chassis no matter who makes it.

If your dead set on a 1500 series, get a light weight camper trailer it won't over load the chassis and suspension. That would be my choice because when you get to your destination you can unhitch it and use the truck to go sight seeing and things like that.

+1

• Toyotas crumble like paper in wrecks, Ive seen almost every model, if you want to survive a wreck dont be in a toyota, but I wouldnt get a ford either. Id get a Ram with the ecodiesel(38mpg) or a new Nissan Titan with the cummins diesel. Just my opinion

• I saw a couple of different webpages that listed the F150s payload capacity at like 1500 to 3000 pounds, depending on the version.
    Am I reading it wrong?

• edited August 2017

Those are just marketing ploys. 1500 series trucks are quarter to trucks any more of a load over taxes the suspension and drive train. Ford just drops the last zero.

1500 series 1/4 ton
    2500 series 1/2 ton
    3500 series 3/4 ton

• There are beefed up versions of each as well which change capacity, though it doesnt really help legally. I had a 1500 ram with 360/ dana towing gear with 1/2 ton suspension, but DOT was always on me about towing capacity for a truck registered 1/4 ton.

• I came up with a better plan.
    Instead of having to buy a heavy duty truck to haul around a camper, I think I will get a regular pick up truck, and if I go on my adventure, get a small pop-up trailer to haul behind it.

• or you could just put a cap on the truck, throw an air or standard mattress in the back and go for it. I lived out the back of my truck for a bit and all you need to stay comfortable is some good blankets and a bottle of whiskey.

• not to mention this allows you to camp pretty much anywhere